Everyone's a Marketer. I'm a Marketer and you're a Marketer. At the start of the year I wrote a post on the top 25 Social Media Marketing Books to Read in 2015, among the list was Ann Handley's Everybody Writes. I interviewed Ann on How to Create Ridiculously Good Content, but the topic of the book got me thinking about what else we all do, namely marketing. As a Digital Marketer and Writer myself, I don't believe there's any job that has more direct competition, especially since a lot of that competition is happy to work for free!
Thankfully though, not everyone does it really well but there's still a lot of us that do. I've been writing on this little blog for well over 5 years now and in that time, I've only been a professional marketer and writer for 2. I've come to the realisation that I was a digital marketer and writer all along, I just didn't always get paid for it and that's the real kicker. If you're really good at what you do, whether you're trying to make money from it, or just doing it because you love it, there's always going to be someone out there willing to pay you for being good at what you do.
I plan on going into a lot more detail on this on the blog later if you'd like to follow along and subscribe to my new newsletter. But for now I'll leave you with a few tips to figure out if you fit the bill.
You Might be a Marketer if...
- You're a blogger
- You have multiple social media accounts on which you post (not just follow)
- You're trying to make an income or 'passive' income online
- You tell the world or you local community/friends/family about products/services you love
- You have an online shop or you sell online and post about it
- You share product snaps or pictures of your food on Instagram
- You upload funny videos of your pets to Youtube
- You share tips, hacks and ideas on social media
- You try your hardest to make your posts stand out with pretty graphics, cool fonts and catchy titles
So, are you a Marketer? If you are make sure to list your new found skill on LinkedIn and add me over there to celebrate!
Did you decide whether you're a Marketer and/or a Writer? Let me know in the comments and if you think I've missed anything from my list!